An overnight trip to Phoenix Comicon with my 4 year old.
A few tips for anyone thinking of bringing their kids:
- Bring easy to carry snacks and a water bottle or sippie cup to refill.
- Want to sit in on a panel? Do an afternoon one when your child can rest and possibly nap for an hour sitting next to you.
- Got a hotel? Use it for that afternoon nap for both of you!
- This year was the busiest first day I had ever seen. Even so Thursday and Friday are still nothing compared to Saturday and Sunday. If you go with kids take them Thursday and Friday.
- Make use of the local restaurants and hotels and check out their Comicon specials they have.
- Remember: You are making memories for them. That might mean you go back to the Arizona Autobots booth 8 times during the day and never get to see that panel you wanted. But it will all be worth it in the end.
And one last shout out to the Renaissance Downtown hotel.
It is not the closest hotel to the Phoenix Convention Center but I could not be more impressed with the staff. They handled all the Comicon attendees with complete professionalism and most were Comicon fans themselves.
This was my second year staying and the rooms are top notch, including a mini fridge for those snacks and drinks. You can’t go wrong with some large format chess with your morning coffee pool side either!
The icing on the cake though was how well my son was treated. At the front desk my son was asked if he wanted his own room key when we checked in, one of the staff brought him some large dice to play with while we were waiting for dinner at their bar and they were more than accommodating to his dairy and nut allergy.
We will be back again in 2017.